Pushkareva E., Bogdanov E. Preservation of Ethno-identity in the Metropolis (How We Did It)
Salekhard, Russian Federation
Autonomous non-profit organization “Yamal-Media”
Salekhard, Russian Federation
ABSTRACT. The essay is a description of the life experience of the representatives of the Nenets people: mother and son by the method of indigenous autoethnography. The story is about the formation of ethnic identity during the Soviet and post-Soviet periods, when contacts with Russian-speaking fellow citizens become daily. Mother’s experience: this is the path of a child from a chum (teepee) in the tundra to a scientist, public and political figure. Son’s experience: the path of a Moscow boy, who was born in the North, from a mixed Nenets-Russian-Jewish family to the head of the department of projects of indigenous peoples of the North of ANO “Yamal-Media”. This is a completely different language, clothes, housing, social experience. Mother had to learn Russian, European costume, European hairstyle, life in a wooden and stone dwelling with a different temperature regime, furniture, bedding, and other, mainly hot food. At the same time, thanks to the Nenets school, humanist teachers, Nenets steadfastness and fair people, she managed to preserve and strengthen her ethnic identity. The son, on the contrary, thanks to his parents-northern scholars, came from the Moscow metropolitan identity to the realization of his belonging to the Nenets people before choosing to promote their culture as his profession. The authors consider the points of view of scientists on ethnic identification, which fluctuate between two poles: peoples should be first of all Russians (both in the cultural and political sense) and peoples, first of all, representatives of their ethnic world, and then Russians.
KEYWORDS: Nenets people, ethnoidentity, Arctic, hybrid and identity of the Russian Federation
- Arutyunov S. A., Byt’ ili ne byt’ (etnografiia pamiati) [To be or not to be (ethnography of memory)]. Etnografiia. 2019, no. 2, pp. 174–208. (In Russian).
- Balkhanov I. G. [Ethnic culture: history and modernity]. Gorodskaia buriatskaia identichnost’ i dvuiazychie v kontekste sovetskoi modernizatsii [Urban Buryat identity and bilingualism in the context of Soviet modernization]. Moscow, Ulan-Ude: ESSIC Publ., 2002, pp. 156–188. (In Russian).
- Belorussova S., Danilova E., Sysoeva M. [Hashtags and ethnicity]. Etnografia, 2020, no. 2 (9), pp. 33–59. (In Russian).
- Bogdanov I. A. Theoretical and practical problems of musical ethnopedagogy: On the example of the peoples of the North. PhD diss., Research Institute of National Education Problems of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation. Moscow, 1992. (In Russian).
- Chang Heewon. Authoetnography as method. London, New York: Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, 2008. (In English).
- Chang Heewon. Authoetnography as method. London, New York: Routledge, 2008. 230 p. (In English).
- Damidarova F. V., Ismagilova G. Sh. [Ethnic, supra-ethnic and civic identity in the Russian political science]. Vlast’[Power], 2014, no. 4, pp. 63–67. (In Russian).
- Efremova O. A. [University in Yamal: myth or reality?]. Yamalskii meridian [Yamal meridian], 2012, no. 1 (189), pp. 48–51. (In Russian).
- Fenomen identichnosti v sovremennom gumanitarnom znanii [The phenomenon of identity in modern humanitarian knowledge]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2011. (In Russian).
- Golovnev A. V. Kochevniki tundry: nentsy i ikh fol’klor [Nomads of the Tundra: the Nenets and their folklore]. Ekaterinburg: Ural Branch of the RAS Publ., 2004. (In Russian).
- Guchinova E.-B. M. [Ethnic identity as stigma: kalmyks in deportation (1943–1956)]. Anthropological Forum [Forum for Anthropology and Culture], 2020, no. 47, pp. 154–180. (In Russian).
- Kharitonova V. I. [“She remained a tundra woman in my soul” (On the vital role and peculiarities of the scientific activity of modern Nenets women ethnographers)]. Issledovaniia po kul’ture nentsev: sbornik statei [Research on the culture of the Nenets: collection of articles]. St. Petersburg: Istoricheskaya illyustratsiya Publ., 2014, pp. 104–112. (In Russian).
- Kon I. S. V poiskakh sebya. Lichnost’ i eyo samoposnanie [Looking for yourself. Personality and its self-awareness]. Moscow: Politizdat Publ., 1984. (In Russian).
- Koptseva N. P. [The influence of modern cultural practices on the ethnic identity of the indigenous peoples of Central Siberia]. Sotsiodinamika [Sociodynamics], 2014, no. 6, pp. 1–27. (In Russian).
- Lyublinskaya M. D., Pushkareva M. V. [Vocabulary development in Tundra Nenets]. Rodnoi iazyk. Lingvisticheskii zhurnal [Native language. Linguistic journal], 2019, no. 2, pp. 5–32. (In Russian).
- Pchelko A. S., Polyak G. V. Arifmetika [Arithmetic]. Leningrad: Gosudarstvennoe uchebno-pedagogicheskoe izdatel’stvo Publ., 1957. (In Nenets).
- Pushkarev V. M. [New evidence]. Tainy vekov [Secrets of the Ages]. Moscow: Molodaya gvardiya Publ., 1983, pp. 53–61. (In Russian).
- Pushkareva E. T. [Culture of the peoples of the North of the Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug as one of the markers of its regional identity]. Arkticheskie regiony Rossii: Problemy parlamentarizma, predstavitel’stva i regional’noi identichnosti (ot rodovykh obshchin k parlamentu Iamala) [Russia’s Arctic Regions: Problems of Parliamentarism, Representation and Regional Identity (from Tribal Communities to the Yamal Parliament)]. Ekaterinburg, Salekhard: Basko Publ., 2013, pp. 146–163. (In Nenets).
- Pushkareva E. T. [Impact of urbanization and multi-ethnic environment on the Nenets family]. Obdoriia: istoriia, kul’tura i sovremennost’ [Obdoria: history, culture and modernity], 2005, no. 4 (35), pp. 89–92. (In Russian).
- Pushkareva E. T. Gastronomicheskie vstrechi. Etnograficheskie ocherki o kukhne nentsev i ne tol’ko… [Gastronomic meetings. Ethnographic essays on the cuisine of the Nenets and not only…]. Salekhard: Severnoe izdatel’stvo Publ., 2020. (In Russian).
- Real’nost’ etnosa. Rol’ obrazovaniya v formirovanii etnicheskoi I grazhdanskoi identichnosti [Ethnic reality. The role of education in the formation of ethnic and civic identity]. St. Petersburg: Asterion Publ., 2006. (In Russian).
- Savva E. V. [Prospects of civic Nation building in the modern Russia]. Teoriia i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiia [Theory and practice of social development], 2015, no. 20, pp. 163–165. (In Russian).
- Serpivo S. E. Zhenskoe prostranstvo v kul’ture nentsev [Women’s space in the culture of the Ne nets ethnos]. St. Petersburg: Istoricheskaya illyustrtsiya Publ., 2016. (In Russian).
- Smola K. [Postcolonial Literatures of the North: Auto-Ethnography and Ethnopoetics]. Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie [New literary review], 2017, no. 2, pp. 429–447. (In Russian).
- Sovremennoe sostoianie i puti razvitiya korennykh malochislennykh narodov Severa, Sibiri i Dal’nego Vostoka Rossiiskoi Federatsii. [The current state and ways of development of the indigenous peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East of the Russian Federation]. Moscow: Sovet Federatsii Publ., 2013. (In Russian).
- Tishkov V. A. [There is such a nation]. Real’nost’ etnosa. Rol’ obrazovaniia v formirovanii etnicheskoi i grazhdanskoi identichnosti [Ethnic reality. The role of education in the formation of ethnic and civic identity]. St. Petersburg: Asterion Publ., 2006, pp. 18–24. (In Russian).
- Tumusov F. S. Buduchee mira i Rossii: vsglyad iz Sakha [The future of the world and Russia: a view from Sakha]. Moscow: Mysl’ Publ., 2000. (In Russian).
- Varnavskii P. K. [The problem of Buryat self-identification in the discussion of M. N. Bogdanov and Ts. Zhamtsarano]. Etnicheskaia kul’tura: istoriia i sovremennost’ [Ethnic culture: history and modernity]. Moscow, Ulan-Ude: ESSIC Publ., 2002, pp. 150–156. (In Russian).
- Vinokurova U. A. [Can indigenous peoples of Sibiria stands up to the challenges of the 21st century]. Sotsiologiia i zhizn’ [Sociology and life], 2015, no. 2, pp. 106–117. (In Russian).
- Yulanova A. N. [The Right for Preservation of Ethnic Identity of indigenous small-numbered people as subjective constitutional right: fixing problems]. Vestnik SurGU [Bulletin of SurGU] 2017, no. 3 (17), pp. 81–85. (In Russian).
- Zhozhikov A. V. [Education, cultural identity and national identity of the indigenous small-numbered peoples of the North, Siberia and the Far East in the conditions of a nomadic lifestyle and globalization]. Etnodialogi [Ethnodialogues], 2017, no. 3, pp. 58–66. (In Russian).