Ermolin D. S., Mikhailova A. A. Remembering Pristina: Network Communities and the Practice of Studying Ethno-Social Processes
D. Ermolin - Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) of the Russian Academy of Sciences St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
A. Mikhailova - The Russian Museum of Ethnography St. Petersburg, Russian Federation
ABSTRACT. Using the example of the Facebook group “Pristina in the Heart” (Serbian “Priština u srcu”), the article examines the communicative behavior of the community members, who, as a rule, are former residents of this city having left it mainly as a result of the war in Koso- vo in 1998–1999. The authors chose content analysis as their main method, which involved studying the content of a text array and visual series published in the form of live dialogues on the social network, as well as online observation, i. e. studying communications within a group carried out on a daily basis within the framework of a thematically determined information space. The authors also made an attempt to examine the emotional and associative reflections of the community members on the familiar visual images and look into the specifics of memory in a collective nostalgic discourse. The objectives of the study were to understand what role the memory of the past plays in the lives of those who narrate about it, what is the mechanism for maintaining the strength of the community, what stimulates its activity, how urban space shapes the memory, and which objects of urban infrastructure become symbolic and narrative ones.
KEYWORDS: commemorative practices, Yugonostalgia, urban space, collective identity, network communities, social networks, cyber-ethnography, collective trauma, social practices, traumatic memories, mental maps
- Abramov R. N. [”Soviet attic” of the Russian blogosphere: an analysis of nostalgic virtual communities]. Interaktsiia. Interv’iu. Interpretatsiia [Interaction. Interview. Interpretation], 2011, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 88–102. (In Russian).
- Boim S. Yu. Budushchee nostal’gii [The Future of Nostalgia]. Moscow: Novoe literaturnoe obozrenie Publ., 2019. (In Russian).
- Bošković A. Yugonostalgia and Yugoslav Cultural Memory: Lexicon of Yu Mythology. Slavic Review, 2013, vol. 72, issue 1, pp. 54–78. (In English).
- Davis F. Yearning for Yesterday: A Sociology of Nostalgia. New York: The free Press, 1979. (In English).
- Ermolin D. S. [Collective memory and transformation of the cultural landscape of the cities of Kosovo at the turn of the 20-21st centuries]. Radlovskii sbornik. Nauchnye issledovaniia i muzeinye proekty MAE RAN v 2016 g. [Radlov collection. Scientific research and museum projects of the MAE RAS in 2016]. St. Petersburg: MAE RAS Publ., 2017, pp. 116–126. (In Russian).
- Ermolin D. S. [Neighbourhood Community in a Balkan City: between Memory and Spatiality]. Etnograficheskoe obozrenie, 2017, no. 4, pp. 131–146. (In Russian).
- Ermolin D. S. [Our own among strangers, strangers among our own: Kosovo Serbs in Niš (Serbia)]. Evropa men’shinstv – men’shinstva v Evrope: Etnokul’turnye, religioznye i iazykovye gruppy [Minority Europe — Minorities in Europe: Ethnocultural, Religious and Linguistic Groups]. Moscow: IEA RAS Publ., 2016, pp. 43–70. (In Russian).
- Ermolin D.S. [Death Space and Ethnocultural Mosaics of Prizren (Kosovo/Serbia)]. Gosudarstvo, religiia, tserkov’ v Rossii i za rubezhom [State, Religion, Church in Russia and Abroad], 2014, no. 2, pp. 36–56. (In Russian).
- Ermolin D. S. [Symbolic Nation-Building and Cultural Landscape of Kosovo Cities on the turn of the 20th–21st Century]. Kunstkamera, 2020, no. 1, pp. 188–198. (In Russian).
- Glazkov K. [Mental Maps: Methods of Analysis, Error and Spatial Metrics]. Sotsiologiia vlasti [Sociology of Power], 2013, no. 3, pp. 39–56. (In Russian).
- Golovnev A. V. [Cyberspace]. Etnografiia, 2020, no. 3, pp. 6–32. (In Russian).
- Golovnev A. V., Belorussova S. Iu., Kisser T. S. [Web-ethnography and cyber-ethnicity]. Ural’skii istoricheskii vestnik [Ural Historical Journal], 2018, no. 1, pp. 100–108. (In Russian).
- Korkiakangas P. Everyday Life, Objects, and Nostalgia. Studies in Folk Culture, vol. 3 (Everyday life and cultural patterns). Tartu: Tartu University Press, 2004, pp. 113–129. (In English).
- Kozinetz R. Netnography: Redefined. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, 2010. (In English).
- Kusimova T. B., Shmidt M. A. Nostal’gicheskoe potreblenie: sotsiologicheskii analiz [Nostalgic Consumption: A Sociological Analysis]. Zhurnal institutsional’nykh issledovanii, 2016, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 120–133. (In Russian).
- Lleshi Q. [Evolution of City functions on the Examples of Urban and Urbanized Centers of Kosovo]. Jugoslovanski simpozij o urbani geografiji. Ljubljana: Inštitut za geografijo univerze, 1971, pp. 117–130. (In Serbo-Croatian).
- Luthar B., Pušnik M. Remembering Utopia: The Culture of Everyday Life in Socialist Yugo- slavia. Washington: New Academia Publishing, 2010. (In English).
- Maksimović M. Unattainable past, unsatisfying present — Yugonostalgia: an omen of a better future? Nationalities Papers, 2017, vol. 45, issue 6, pp. 1066–1081. (In English).
- Martynova M. Yu. [Ethnic factor in Kosovo’s Fate]. Kosovo: proshloe, nastoiashchee, budushchee [Kosovo: Past, Rresent, Future]. St. Petersburg: Aleteiia Publ., 2013, pp. 82–135. (In Russian).
- Ochkina A. V. [On the question of the social nature of “Soviet nostalgia”]. Izvestiia PGPU im. V. G. Belinskogo [Izvestia PGPU im. V. G. Belinsky], 2012, no. 28, pp. 50–57. (In Russian).
- Pink S. et al. Digital ethnography. Principles and practice. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, 2015. (In English).
- Puzanov K. [Territorial boundaries of urban communities]. Sotsiologiia vlasti [Sociology of Power], 2013, no. 3, pp. 27–37. (In Russian).
- Sadiki A., Mako V. Sociological dimension of urban plans: General urban plan of Priština from 1953, arch. Dragutin Partonić. The Facta Universitatis. Series: Architecture and Civil Engineering, 2019, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 93–104. (In English).
- Sergodeev V. A. [Networked Internet communities: essence and socio-cultural characteristics]. Vestnik Adygeiskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta (Regionovedenie: filosofiia, istoriia, sotsi- ologiia, iurisprudentsiia, politologiia, kul’turologiia) [Bulletin of the Adyghe State University. Series 1: Regional Studies: Philosophy, History, Sociology, Jurisprudence, Political Science, Culturology], 2013, vol. 1 (113), pp. 132–137. (In Russian)
- Smolina N. S. [“Soviet” in the post-Soviet space: an analysis of nostalgic communities]. Vestnik Cheliabinskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Series: Filosofiia. Sotsiologiia. Kul’turologiia [Bulletin of the Chelyabinsk State University. Series Philosophy. Sociology. Culturology], 2014, no. 17 (346). vol. 33, pp. 133–136. (In Russian).