Suleimanova O. Presentation of the culture of the Kola Sami in Vkontakte social network: the dynamics of the visual images of material culture
O. Suleymanova - Kola Science Centre of the RAS Apatity, Russian Federation ORCID: 0000-0001-5109-958Х
ABSTRACT. The article responds to the need to fill the gap in the studies of modern practices of using new information technologies to represent material culture as a factor in the preservation and transmission of the ethnic identity of the indigenous population of the Murmansk Region. The author analyzes the content of 11 official groups, i.e. virtual Sami communities and 10 personal pages of Sami people in Vkontakte social network, using the methods of virtual included observation and content analysis of textual and visual materials. Based on the analysis of the data, various types of visual sources representing elements of the material culture of the indigenous population in the virtual space have been identified. Depending on the type of visual sources, their functions also vary. Belonging to the ethnic community is demonstrated by means of avatars and personal photographs, in which members of the social network are captured in national costumes or with certain attributes of the Sami culture. Visual sources from museum collections represent elements of the traditional material culture of the Sami community, contributing to the transmission of traditional knowledge. Communication, integration, and exchange of information and knowledge through visual images are carried out both within the Sami community and outside it, since virtual groups are ‘open’ for everyone. It has been revealed that the visual images of the material culture of the Sami can be used for commercial purposes (for example, to sale souvenirs with ethnic symbols, etc.). ‘Simplified’ use of ethnically labeled things for commercial purposes contributes to the distortion of the ethnic image. The study has showed that representatives of the Sami community are fighting against the ‘simplified’ use of ethnic symbols by spreading ‘incorrect’ visual images through reposts in order to attract the public. In the context of modern realities, and in connection with the pandemic, new forms of ethnic self-presentation have been identified. They reflect the dynamics of the visual images of the material culture of the Sami (in particular, the introduction of face masks with ethnic symbols).
УДК 0 04.946:39(=511.12)
KEYWORDS: visual content, material culture, Sami of Murmansk Region, social networks, photo representations, ethnic identity
- Bart R. [Photographic message]. Sistema mody. Stat’i po semiotike kul’tury [Fashion system. Articles on the semiotics of culture]. Moscow: Izd-vo im. Sabashnikovyh Publ., 2003, pp. 378– 392. (In Russian).
- Belorussova S. Yu., Golovnev A. V. [Virtual ethnicity — an innovation against the background of tradition?]. Sibirskie istoricheskie issledovaniya [Siberian Historical Research], 2019, no. 2, pp. 36–40. (In Russian).
- Bendix R. In search of authenticity: The formation of Folklore Studies. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1997. 306 p. (In English).
- Bogdanova N. M. [Photography as a tool for sociological analysis of the practices of constructing visual self-presentation]. Zhurnal sociologii i social’noj antropologii [Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology], 2012, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 98–113. (In Russian).
- Davydov V. N. Kul’turnaya autentichnost’ i korennye narody: institucional’nye processy i politika identichnosti [Cultural authenticity and indigenous peoples: institutional processes and identity politics]. Available at: http://ecsocman.hse.ru/data/2010/12/03/1214824591/3bDa vidov.pdf (accessed 25.05.2020). (In Russian).
- Garanina O. R., Shamina Yu. M. [Influence of “likes” in social networks on personal self-esteem]. Psihologicheskie nauki [Psychological Sciences], 2016, no. 44 (2). Available at: https:// novainfo.ru/article/5426 (accessed 21.03.2020). (In Russian).
- Gluhov A. P., Okushova G. A. [Russian migrants from Central Asian countries: digitalization of identity]. Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Filosofiya. Sociologiya. Politologiya [Bulletin of Tomsk State University. Philosophy. Sociology. Political science], 2017, no. 37, pp. 139–161. (In Russian).
- Golovnev A. V. [Close-up in anthropology]. Ural’skij istoricheskij vestnik [Ural historical journal], 2010, no. 4 (29), pp. 14–20. (In Russian).
- Golovnev A. V., Belorussova S. Yu., Kisser T. S. [Web ethnography and cyber-ethnicity]. Ural’skij istoricheskij vestnik [Ural historical journal], 2018, no. 1 (58), pp. 100–108. (In Russian).
- Handler R., Linnekin J. Tradition, Genuine or Spurious. The Journal of American Folklore, 1984, vol. 97, no. 385, pp. 273–290. (In English).
- Hanhunova M. Yu., Chojropov C. C. [Social media as a tool for the formation of ethnic identity]. Vestnik Vostochno-Sibirskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta tekhnologij i upravleniya [Bulletin of the East Siberian State University of Technology and Management], 2013, no. 2 (41), pp. 168– 177. (In Russian).
- Kisser T. S. [Virtual identity of Russian Germans]. Sibirskie istoricheskie issledovaniya [Siberian Historical Research], 2019, no. 2, pp. 64–84. (In Russian).
- Kuz’min A. V., Hantaev S. N. [Presentation of ethnicity in the digital space]. Mediafilosofiya [Media philosophy], 2017, no. 13, pp. 147–157. (In Russian).
- Mahmutov Z. A., Gabdrahmanova G. F. [Features of the ethnic identity of virtual Tatar communities in the social network Vkontakte]. Istoricheskaya etnologiya [Historical ethnology], 2016, no. 2, pp. 276–292. (In Russian).
- Mart’yanov D. S., Mart’yanova N. A. [Discursive aspects of ethnic identity on the Internet]. Vestnik SGUTiKD [Bulletin of SGUTiKD], 2012, no. 2 (20), pp. 233–238. (In Russian).
- Myasnikova L. A., Drozdova A. V., Arhipova Yu. V. [Visual representation of everyday life in the modern media society]. Teoriya i praktika obshchestvennogo razvitiya [Theory and practice of social development], 2014, no. 19, pp. 168–172. (In Russian).
- Orekh E. A., Sergeeva O. V. [Digital face and digital body: new phenomena in the visual content of social networks]. Vestnik SPbGU. Sociologiya [Saint Petersburg State University Bulletin. Sociology], 2015, no. 2, pp. 137–145. (In Russian).
- Petrov I. K., Abduvalieva A. H. [Features of the ethnic identity of users of social networks]. Sovremennye nauchnye issledovaniya i razrabotki [State of the art research and development], 2018, vol. 2, no. 5 (22), pp. 457–460. (In Russian).
- Pivneva E. A. [Photo-representations of the ethnic culture of the Ob Ugrians]. Vestnik ugrovedeniya [Journal of Ugric Studies], 2018, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 716–728. (In Russian).
- Razumova I. A., Sulejmanova O. A. [Sami network communities in the «ethnic Internet» of Russia]. Uchenye zapiski Petrozavodskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Scientific notes of Petrozavodsk State University], 2019, no. 2 (179), pp. 114–122. (In Russian).
- Shtompka P. Vizual’naya sociologiya. Fotografiya kak metod issledovaniya [Visual Sociology. Photography as a research method]. Moscow: Logos Publ., 2007. 168 p. (In Russian).
- Shuster O. V. [Visuality as a global trend in the mass media space]. European Researcher, 2013, no. 7–1, pp. 1890–1898. (In Russian).
- Sulejmanova O. A., Paciya E. Ya. [Everyday life aspects of the adaptation of the Sami to the urban lifestyle]. Trudy Kol’skogo nauchnogo centra RAN [Proceedings of the Kola Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], 2016, no. 8–10 (42), pp. 89–106. (In Russian).
- Tlekhuraj Z. A. [Circassian diaspora sites as a source for studying ethnic identity]. Vestnik Yuzhnogo nauchnogo centra [Bulletin of the Southern Scientific Center], 2013, no. 3, pp. 139– 145. (In Russian).
- Utekhin I. Small Data First: Pictures from Instagram as an Ethnographic Source. Russian Journal of Communication, 2017, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 185–200. (In English).
- Vizual’naya antropologiya: novye vzglyady na social’nuyu real’nost’ [Visual anthropology: new views on social reality]. Saratov: Nauchnaya kniga Publ., 2007. 528 p. (In Russian).
- Volokitina N. A. [Representation of ethnic identity in the modern Internet space]. Social’naya integraciya i razvitie etnokul’tur v evrazijskom prostranstve [Social integration and development of ethnocultures in the Eurasian space], 2019, vol. 2, no. 8, pp. 35–39. (In Russian).