Nosenko-Stein E. Jewish studies and thеir interrelations with humanities and social sciences
E. Nosenko-Stein - Institute of Oriental Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences Moscow, Russian Federation ORCID: 0000-0001-9952-8582
ABSTRACT. In this essay the author examines the major patterns of the development of Jewish Studies in different countries including the Russian Empire, their elimination in the Soviet era and revival in post-soviet Russia, as well as interactions between Jewish studies and some humanities and social disciplines, i.e. ethnography/ethnology and social and cultural anthropology. She traces the history of the emergence and development of Jewish studies and points out that the above mentioned disciplines never played a significant role in them because of particular historical circumstances; Jewish history of different periods, studying Jewish languages and literature as well as philosophy and law prevailed in Jewish studies. The author emphasizes that there are certain reasons for that, among them the disruption of academic traditions in ethnology in Russia and the indifference of some academic and university leaders to contemporary research. She also discusses interrelations between Jewish studies and ethnological and anthropological research, especially in contemporarry Russia, and concludes that it is necessary to promote ethnological and anthropological research in Jewish studies both in Russian academic centers and universities where future specialists in Jewish and/or Israeli studies are being prepared. The author also notes that a lack of such specialists leads to a lack of research dealing with Jewish culture and contemporary Jewish communities.
УДК [ 39+94] (=41 1 . 16)
KEYWORDS: Jewish Studies, social sciences, ethnology, social anthropology, sociology
- Dymshic V. A., Nosenko-SHtejn E. E. [The study of ethnography and folklore]. Evrei (seriya «Narody i kul’tury») [Jews (series “Peoples and Cultures”)]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2018, pp. 11–23. (In Russian).
- Emelyanenko T. G. [A collection of photographs of Bukhara Jews S.M. Dudin in the collection of the Russian Ethnographic Museum]. Strany i narody [Countries and peoples]. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 187–205. (In Russian).
- Epshtejn A. [Problems of the development of Judaica and Israeli studies in Russian: polemic notes]. Diaspory [Diasporas], 2007a, no. 1–2, pp. 228–237. (In Russian).
- Epshtejn A. [The study of Israel in Russia (1999–2006): achievements and problems]. Vostok / Oriens [East / Oriens], 2007b, no. 2, рр. 167–170. (In Russian).
- Epshtejn A. D., Melamedov G. [On national issues without self-censorship. Review of articles of the “Jewish” issue of the independent scientific journal Diaspora (No. 3 of 2004)] // «Vesti» — obshchestvenno-politicheskoe prilozhenie [“News” — a socio-political application], 2004, pp. 14–15. (In Russian).
- Evrei (seriya «Narody i kul’tury») [Jews (series “Peoples and Cultures”)]. Moscow: Nauka Publ., 2018. (In Russian).
- Ganelin R. Sh., Kelner V. E. [Problems of historiography of Jews in Russia. The second half of the 19 — the first quarter of the 20 century]. Evrei v Rossii. Istoricheskie ocherki [Jews in Russia.
- Historical essays]. Moscow, Jerusalem: Gesharim Publ., 1994, pp. 183–249. (In Russian).
- Gitelman Z. (Ed.). Religion or Ethnicity? Jewish Identities in Evolution. New Brunswick, New Jersey: Rutgers University Press, 2009. (In English).
- Hajmovich B. [Historical and Ethnographic Expeditions of Petersburg Jewish University]. Istoriya
- evreev na Ukraine i v Belorussii [History of Jews in Ukraine and Belarus]. St. Petersburg: Izdatel’stvo Sankt-Peterburgskogo evrejskogo universiteta Publ., 1994. (In Russian).
- Istoriya evreev na Ukraine i v Belorussii. Ekspedicii, pamyatniki, nahodki [History of Jews in Ukraine and Belarus. Expeditions, monuments, finds]. St. Petersburg: Izdatelstvo Sankt-Peterburgskogo evrejskogo universiteta Publ., 1994. (In Russian).
- Lihachev V., Fedorchuk A. [Higher education in the field of Jewish studies in the post-Soviet space]. Evrei Evrazii [Jews of Eurasia], 2004, no. 3. (In Russian).
- Lokshin A. [Judaica in Russia. Russian-Jewish history and its researchers]. Evrei v Rossijskoj
- imperii 18–19 vekov. Sbornik trudov evrejskih istorikov [Jews in the Russian Empire of the 18th–19th centuries. Collection of Jewish Historians]. Moscow; Jerusalem: Gesharim Publ., 1995, pp. 5–27. (In Russian).
- Lukin V. [On the Centenary of the Formation of the St. Petersburg Scientific School of Jewish
- History]. Istoriya evreev v Rossii / Trudy po iudaike. Seriya “Istoriya i etnografiya”. Vyp. 1
- [History of Jews in Russia / Works on Judaica. Series “History and Ethnography”. Issue 1.].
- St. Petersburg: Sankt-Peterburgskij evrejskij universitet Publ., 1993, pp. 13–26. (In Russian).
- Nathans B. On Russian-Jewish Historiography. Historiography of Imperial Russia: The Profession and Writing of History in Multinational State. New York: M. E. Sharpe Inc., 1999, pp. 397–432. (In English).
- Nosenko E. [Will Anthropology Find Its Place in Russian Judaica (Reflections on the Role of
- Some Social and Human Sciences)]. Diaspory [Diasporas], 2006, no. 4, pp. 218–233. (In Russian).
- Nosenko E. E. [Introduction: Anthropology and Judaica: Is Symbiosis Possible?].
- Etnograficheskoe obozrenie [Etnograficheskoe obozrenie], 2009, no. 6, pp. 3–7. (In Russian).
- Nosenko-Shtejn E. E. «Peredajte ob etom detyam vashim, a ih deti sleduyushchemu rodu».
- Kul’turnaya pamyat’ u rossijskih evreev v nashi dni [“Pass this on to your children, and their children to the next generation.” The cultural memory of Russian Jews today]. Moscow: IV RAS; MBA Publ., 2013. (In Russian).
- Nosenko-Sрtejn E. E. [Introduction]. Pomnit o proshlom radi budushchego. Evrejskaya identichnost i kollektivnaya pamyat [Remember the past for the future. Jewish identity and collective memory]. Moscow: IV RAS Publ., 2014, pp. 9–20. (In Russian).
- Patai R., Patai-Wing J. The Myth of Jewish Race. New York: Scribner’s Sons, 1975. (In English).
- Safran G., Zipperstein S. I. (Ed.). The World of S. An-sky. A Russian Jewish Intellectual at the Turn of the Century. Stanford, Cal: Stanford University Press, 2006. (In English).
- Shevelev D. L. [Israeli and Palestinian studies in modern Russia (on the issue of definitions and the state of the industry)]. Vostok / Oriens [East / Oriens], 2007, no. 5, pp. 216–220. (In Russian).
- Sokolova A. [The architecture of the towns of Eastern Podolia]. Istoriya evreev na Ukraine i v Belorussii. Ekspedicii, pamyatniki, nahodki [History of Jews in Ukraine and Belarus.
- Expeditions, monuments, finds]. St. Petersburg: Izdatelstvo Sankt-Peterburgskogo evrejskogo universiteta Publ., 1994. (In Russian).
- Tracing An-sky: Jewish Collections from the State Ethnographic Museum in St. Petersburg.
- St. Petersburg, Amsterdam, 1992. (In English).
- Urickaya L. B. [About the exhibition I. M. Pulner “Jews in Tsarist Russia and the USSR”].
- Materialy po etnografii. Vyp. 3: Narody Belorussii, Ukrainy, Moldavii [Ethnographic materials. Vol. 3: The peoples of Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova.]. St. Petersburg, 2010. (In Russian).
- Verdery К. Bringing Anthropologists (Back). News Net. News of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, 2006, vol. 46, no. 1. (In English).
- Yuhnyova N. V. [Petersburg as a center of national-cultural movements of Russia]. Etnografiya Peterburga — Leningrada. Materialy ezhegodnyh chtenij. Vyp. 1: Etnokul’turnye processy v Peterburge [Ethnography of St. Petersburg — Leningrad. Materials of the annual readings. Vol. 1. Ethnocultural processes in St. Petersburg]. Leningrad: Nauka Publ., 1987, pp. 4–12. (In Russian).
- Yuhnyova N. V. Etnicheskij sostav i etnosocial’naya struktura naseleniya Peterburga [The ethnic composition and ethno-social structure of the population of St. Petersburg]. Leningrad: Nauka Publ., 1984. (In Russian).