Zimina T. A. The way the Sinhalese see the Veddas: view from the past and present perceptions
Tatyana A. ZIMINA — Leading Researcher, The Russian Museum of Ethnography (Russia, St. Petersburg)
УД К 397(548.7)
ABSTRACT. The article investigates one aspect of the collaboration between two ethnic cultures which co-existed within the island of Sri Lanka. The paper scrutinizes the beliefs of Sinhalese, who are the main inhabitants of this island country, and the Veddas, a small ethnic group, populating the same island and considered to be autochthons of Sri Lanka. These perceptions are evident in an analysis of the well- known historical and ethnographical texts of the second half of the 19th — early 20th centuries as well as in the interviews collected at present time. The Sinhalese have always marked several features of the ethnic image of the Veddas, for example, their outlook, language, a set of cultural, lifestyle, and behavioral traits. The author addresses several of these traits, mainly those which transformation can be traced in time. The analysis of the Sinhalese perceptions of the Veddas allows the author to approach differently the traditional culture of the autochthonous population and the role of these people in the history of Sri Lanka and its modern stage. For instance, it becomes clear why in popular science literature and online sources one can read about near-disappearance of the Veddas, and that those who call themselves the Ved- das nowadays only perform as ancestors of the ancient population and recreate the tra- ditional way of life for the tourists. In fact, the primary occupation of the people who consider themselves as autochthons is hunting, but at the present time it is prohibited by the state.
KEYWORDS: Veddas, Sinhalese, Sri Lanka, ethnicity, ethnic image, ethnic characteristics, attributes of ethnic culture
- Dharmadasa K. N. O. The Vedda Language. The Vanishing Aborigines: Sri Lanka’s Veddas in Transition. New Delhi: International Centre for Ethnic Studies in association with NORAD and Vikas Pub. House, 1990. (In English).
- Dragnov G. [The riddle of the Veddas]. Aziya i Afrika segodnya [Asia and Africa today], 1968, no. 4, pp. 47–49. (In Russian).
- Kochnev V. I. [Veddas]. Malye narody Yuzhnoj Azii [Small Peoples of South Asia]. Moscow: Nauka, 1978, pp. 196–220. (In Russian).
- Krasnodembskaya N. G. Tradicionnoe mirovozzrenie singalov [Traditional Sinhala Worldview].
- Moscow: Nauka, 1982. (In Russian).
- Krasnodembskaya N. G., Senasinha R. D. [The image of a lion in the mythology and sym- bolism of Sinhala Sri Lanka (from prehistory to the present)]. Bestiarij II. Zoomorfizmy Azii: dvizhenie vo vremeni [Bestiary II. Zoomorphisms of Asia: Time Movement]. St. Petersburg: MAE RAS Publ., 2012, pp. 72–83. (In Russian).
- Krasnodembskij V. E. [Vedda]. Trudy arhiva vostokovedov IVR RAS. Vyp. 1. Trudy vostok- ovedov v gody blokady Leningrada (1941–1944) [Proceedings of the archive of Orientalists of the IOM RAS. Issue 1. The works of orientalists during the siege of Leningrad (1941–1944)]. Moscow: "Vostochnaya literatura" RAS, 2011, pp. 204–216. (In Russian).
- Maslov Yu. [Mysterious nittaevo]. Aziya i Afrika segodnya [Asia and Africa today], 1975, no. 7, pp. 44–45. (In Russian).
- Matyushina Z. [Journey to the land of the Veddas]. Aziya i Afrika segodnya [Asia and Africa today], 1964, no. 3, pp. 38–41. (In Russian).
- Noks R. Istoricheskaya povest’ o Cejlone. 17 vek [The historical tale of Ceylon. 17 century].
- St. Petersburg, 2007. (In Russian).
- Spittel R. L. Wild Ceylon. Describing in Particular the Lives of the Present Day Veddas.
- Colombo, 1927. (In English).
- Yakovlev V. G. Legendy i zhizn’ ostrova Lanka (po stranicam dnevnika) [Legends and life of the island of Lanka (through the pages of the diary)]. Moscow: Nauka, 1976.
- Zimina T. A. [Autochthons of Sri Lanka: bow, arrows and hatchet in the forest]. Zografskij sbornik [Zograph collection], 2014, no. 4, pp. 266–277. (In Russian).
- Zimina T. A. [Bags and sacks in the cultural tradition of the Veddas]. Moda i dizajn: istorich- eskij opyt — novye tekhnologii: materialy 21 mezhdunarodnoj nauchnoj konferencii [Fashion and design: historical experience — new technologies: materials of the XXI international scien- tific conference]. St. Petersburg: FGBOU VO "SPbGUPTD", 2018, pp. 246–251. (In Russian).
- Zimina T. A. [Spirits of the deceased in the ideas and ceremonial life of the Veddas (based on historical ethnography and field observations)]. Zografskij sbornik [Zograph collection], 2016, no. 5, pp. 212–220. (In Russian).
- Zimina T. A. [Vedda Past and Present Items]. Veshch’ v translyacii etnichnosti: Materialy Semnadcatyh mezhdunarodnyh sankt-peterburgskih chtenij [The thing about broadcasting eth- nicity: Proceedings of the Seventeenth International St. Petersburg Readings]. St. Petersburg: IPTS SPGUTD, 2018, pp. 200–205. (In Russian).
- Zimina T. A., Krasnodembskaya N. G. [Veddas (the fate of the autochthonous population of Sri Lanka by the beginning of the 21st century)]. Istoricheskaya etnografiya [Historical ethnog- raphy], 2008, no. 3, pp. 138–145. (In Russian).